Graduate Students' Union
Chief Returning Officer
Term: January 2019 to December 2019
The Chief Returning Officer (CRO) is responsible for ensuring that all elections by-elections and referenda for the Graduate Students’ Union is carried out in a fair and transparent manner in accordance with the Non-profit Corporations Act and the GSU Election and Referendum Bylaw and Election policy. The CRO ensures that all candidates for election follow the appropriate process to attain a nomination and that they comply with the electoral policies and procedures of the GSU.
● Energy & Stress
● Team Work
● Quality Orientation
● Problem Solving
● Accountability and Dependability
● Ethics and Integrity
● Be in charge of all matters regarding the holding of elections, including the receipt and certification of nominations, the posting of notices and newspaper advertisements, providing for an all candidates meeting, the establishment of polls, the counting of ballots and the declaration of elected candidates.
● Prepare nomination and candidate information packages
● Supervise the campaign to ensure candidates comply with GSU constitution, bylaws, policies and procedures
● Advertise the nomination, campaigning and voting periods of all GSU elections (If needed, work with the Executive Director of Communications).
● Oversee the voting and ballot counting procedure.
● Provide a final report to the GSU Board of Directors at the next scheduled meeting following the election results.
● Ensure that the Elections and Referendum Bylaw and all appropriate and relevant procedures are enforced.
● Arrange the online voting with the University portal.
● Verify that members nominated are full time graduate students.
● Ensure candidates and members comply with the GSU Election and Referendum By-Law and Electoral policy and other relevant documents.
● Hold a minimum of two Candidate Information Sessions.
● Disqualify candidates, materials, representatives or members who have broken the rules laid out in the GSU Election and Referendum By-Law or other relevant documents.
● Is a member of the Elections Committee.
● Refer serious violations to the Elections Committee.
● Refer all appeals to the Elections Committee.
● Hear, in confidence, any appeal or request for review on the conduct of any candidate(s), officials or members.
● Investigate all offences, claims and questions brought before the office.
● Enforce appropriate disciplinary actions
● Take immediate action to rectify any infraction identified during the course of an election.
● Review all candidate expense claims with the General Manager and the Executive Director Finance and approve for payment.
● Make or approve all communications regarding Elections, By-Elections and Referenda and their conduct.
● With the assistance of the ED Communications, arrange the posting of candidate platforms and/or profiles of candidates who wish to have this information published on GSU authorized digital platforms.
● Oversee any Election Officials.
● Not a current member of the GSU Board of Directors or a past Executive Director
● Available for the full year January 2019 to December 2019 as full-time graduate student of MUN
● Strong administrative, communication, conflict resolution, and interpersonal skills, as well as personal initiative.
● Experience with student organizations would be an asset.
● Familiarity with the GSU of MUN
● Experience organizing and running elections. (Preferred)
● Understanding of the rules and regulations put forth by GSU directing the election procedures.
● Be flexible to work varied hours to accommodate student schedules.
● Be available via email/social media beyond regular working hours to respond to candidate inquiries and/or concerns.
● Experience with confidentiality.
● Detail oriented.
● Good communicator.
● High energy.
● Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
● Irregular and varied work schedule.
● Lifting or moving up to 10lbs may be required.
Please apply by forwarding your resume and cover letter to the GSU General Manager John Blackmore email@example.com no later than 5:00pm, Wednesday January 2nd 2019.
Only those applicants who forward a resume and cover letter will be considered for the position.
Interviews will be held for selected candidates between Monday January 7th and Wednesday January 9th 2019 in the GSU boardroom.